Welcome to my Blog

Be informed about couple therapy and treatment of sexual issues...

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Two Must-reads for Couple Therapy and Sex Therapy

North County San Diego Couple and Sex Therapy Blog by me, Dr. Jennifer Sandoval is up and running again! Thanks for your patience. I'm so excited and have so much to share!

I'm going to start with the basics. Whether you are a couple seeking to improve your relationship or a seasoned therapist there are two seminal books you must read. I also recommend these books for singles who want to be better in any relationship.

The first book is Passionate Marriage by David Schnarch, Ph.D. (really, ANYTHING by Dr. Schnarch is incredible). He focuses on one very key concept to revolutionizing the way you will be in relationships - DIFFERENTIATION. This book changed not only the way I do therapy but also how I am in relation to self and others. Check it out at:
http://passionatemarriage.com/

The second book I highly recommend is John Gottman, Ph.D.'s 7 Principles of Making Marriage Work. Dr. Gottman is a couple therapy researcher, clinician and Guru! He has been studying and working with couples since the '70's to see what happy, stable couples in committed relationships are doing right. He is also behavioral so there are easy to understand and easy to follow exercises to improve your relationship. Check it out at
http://www.gottman.com/57329/558737/Books-DVDs-and-Workshops/Seven-Principles-for-Making-Marriage-Work.html
Think of this as great summer reading! And I'd love to hear what you think.
Take care, Dr. Sandoval

4 comments:

  1. Dr. Gottman is indeed a brilliant man, thanks for sharing. Do you follow his philosophy when it comes to working with couples, or do you have a mixture of influences?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for these reading suggestions. It's always refreshing to learn new techniques to keep my Marriage moving in a positive direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obed, I love Dr. Gottman - I find his Principles to make sense and are easy to apply to your relationship. The couples I work with- and the couples in the seminars I give - say his work has really helped them. I mainly follow the work of David Schnarch. He is really a master at helping couples and helping with sexual difficulties.

    Ruth, thanks for the comment. It encourages me to keep up with the blog! Helping couples is my passion! Please check out an article I wrote at
    http://www.sandiegotherapists.com/sandoval.html
    Take care! And I'd love for you to become a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would also recommend Intimacy & Desire as the latest read from Dr. Schnarch:)

    ReplyDelete